From 10am-4.30pm on Thursdays in September and October.
This event lasts approximately 6.5 hours.
Location: Cream o’ Galloway Visitor Centre, South West Scotland DG7 2DR
A full day Cheese Making Course where you’ll learn to make two types of cheese at socially distanced workstations.
This practical cheese making course is led by our cheese making experts, Stephen and Alina who are the main cheesemakers for our sister company, The Ethical Dairy. This workshop is a fascinating introduction to the craft of artisan cheese making. You’ll learn a quick way to make soft cheese which can be easily replicated at home. You’ll also make a pressed cheese, following the steps we use to make the cheeses, which you will then mature at home. In total this cheese making course will result in around 1kg of cheese to take home.
Cheese making involves periods of time when you pause and let nature take its course. During these times we will schedule experiences that will give you a broader insight into our farm and our own cheese making process. You’ll go on a quick tour of the farm, you’ll have the opportunity to see our cheese store, where we will show you what to look out for as your own pressed cheese matures, and you’ll enjoy a cheese tasting experience.
The cost of the workshop is £95 for one person using a single workstation. For couples wishing to attend this event together we can offer two different options:
- Work together on a single workstation to make one batch of cheese. The cost for two people working together is £130. To book, please book a single workstation online and then contact us with your order number on firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you wish to add an additional person to your booking. Alternatively you can phone us on 01557 814040.
- Work on individual workstations to make two different batches of cheese to mature at home. Our cheese makers will show you how to create different cheeses, for example one person could make a blue cheese and the other a cheddar style. To book this option, please book two workstations (£95 per person).
For more information about our Cheese Making Course, or to ask any questions, please email us on email@example.com phone us on 01557 814040.
We expect to run this event at least monthly during 2021. Gift vouchers for Cheese Making Courses are available, to purchase, please contact us for details.
Covid Safety Measures: You will be allocated a 2m x 2m workstation that is at least 2m from other stations. There will be a maximum of 15 participants in the barn that would normally hold up to 150 people. All equipment is sanitised prior to the start of the session and great attention is paid to hygiene and safety throughout. During school holiday periods our Cheese Making Course will take place in our smaller Activity Room, and will be restricted to three workstations to enable appropriate social distancing.
- Introduction to cheese making with our cheese makers
- Practical cheese making sessions using pasteurised milk
- One soft cheese and one pressed cheese to take home
- Farm tour including seeing the cows (bring outdoor clothing and footwear)
- Cheese store tour
- Cheese tasting
- Refreshments and lunch
Please be aware, as a working food production area entry to the cheese store is at the discretion of our staff. For hygiene and food safety reasons you must declare any recent illness to our team.
Your cheeses will be made with pasteurised milk. You will take your soft cheese home with you the same day. Your pressed cheese can either be collected the following day or couriered to your home for an additional £5.
This full day event includes lunch and it takes place in the activity room of our Visitor Centre.
This event includes some walking on rough farm roads and climbing some internal stairs. If you have accessibility requirements please contact us before booking to discuss. We are happy to recommend local accommodation providers should you wish to stay overnight in the local area.
This full day event includes lunch and it takes place in the activity room of our Visitor Centre. Please contact us to make us aware of any special dietary requirements.
Please Note: All bookings must be made two days before the event takes place. Cheese Making Workshops require a minimum of 4 participants to run. If the date you select does not reach 4 bookings we will contact you by phone to reschedule or make other arrangements.
Suitable for adults only.
Face coverings must be worn in indoor areas.